Vanilla Cream Cupcakes with Honey Frosting, by Olivia A from sisterbakers.com
Ok, we promise this will be our last Valentine’s post.
Here’s a little goodie that you can do during your Valentine’s weekend. You have no Valentine? Then you surely had a Valentine’s overdose within the last 48h, and this is exactly the right thing for you. No need to bake for someone, keep these treats just for you. Baking is relaxing, helps clearing your head, improves creativity, and most of all, eating these cute little cupcakes will certainly procure a happy pill effect on you! Forget the Xanax, turn on the oven and don’t worry we ll make you a « WHAT TO BURN AT THE GYM» post soon! Enjoy
The recipe is from Sister Bakers, a great baking blog from two young mums and fashionistas, Olivia & Samantha. Follow their blog, there are so many great recipes illustrated with gorgeous pictures, it really brings out the hidden baker in you!
Yields 30 normal sized cupcakes or 24 cupcakes + 12 mini cupcakes
What you need:
Vanilla Cream Batter
½ cup coconut butter
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups sugar
½ vanilla bean, scraped
1 tsp fleur de sel
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cup 2% milk
½ cup cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C and line 2 cupcake pans and 1 mini cupcake pan with cupcake wrappers of your choice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the coconut butter, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla seeds on medium-high speed until thick and creamy.
- Crack the eggs and whisk on medium speed until incorporated.
- Pour in the cream and milk and beat until the mixture is homogenous.
- Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour, and whisk until smooth.
- With an ice cream scoop, drop heaping spoonfuls into cupcake wrappers (until 2/3 full).
- Bake for 15 minutes for normal sized ones and 10 minutes for mini cupcakes, or until puffed up and golden and a toothpick inserted at the heart of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature before frosting.
1 ½ cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 ½ cups milk
1/3 cup cream
¼ cup honey
1 ½ cups (375 g) butter, room temperature
½ vanilla bean, scraped
1 tsp vanilla
- Place the sugar, flour, milk, and cream in a pan and set over medium heat. Whisk until thickened (approximately 8 minutes). It will have a pudding-like consistency (see picture below).
- Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat on medium-high speed until completely cooled down (it took about 10 minutes for me). You could always leave it to cool for 1 hour then beat for 2 minutes if you have the time.
- Add the butter, vanilla seeds, and vanilla extract and whisk until thick and creamy (approximately 2 minutes).
- Scrape into a piping bag fitted with the nozzle of your choice and pipe out on cooledcupcake.